For those who have difficulty standing from a seated position, lift chairs are a terrific aid, increasing independence, safety, comfort, and convenience.
By answering the questions below, and then applying those answers to the information provided in this guide, you can best assess the many lift chair models available, finding the class features and options that will be most beneficial to you.
Lift Chair Selection Checklist
- What type of reclining feature are you looking for (2-, 3-, or infinite-position)?
- What size will you need based on the user’s height and weight?
- What additional options may be beneficial to you?
- Have a sense of the room size and décor for an appropriate match.
From function to style, a lift chair is surely a welcome addition to one’s home.
Along with the power lift feature, lift chairs are available in three reclining configurations that operate via the remote hand control:
2 Position Lift Chairs- Offer a limited reclining backrest with an elevating ottoman, designed for increased comfort while reading or watching television.
Lift Chair Sizing
For appropriate accessibility and comfort, lift chairs are available in specific sizes to best match the user’s height and weight:
- Petite/Small – Offers a limited reclining backrest with an elevating ottoman, designed for increased comfort while reading or watching television
- Medium – For users 5’4″ to 5’10” (375 lb. weight capacity, based on model)
- Large – For users 5’11” to 6’2″ (375 lb. weight capacity, based on model)
- Tall – For users 6’2″ to 6’8″ (375 lb. weight capacity, based on model)
- Wide/XL – For users needing a 2″ to 4″ wider seat, with a weight capacity of 500 lbs. (also available in Petite/Small wide versions)
- Heavy Duty/XXL – For users needing a 4″ wider seat, with a weight capacity of 600 lbs. to 700 lbs.
*Sizes may slightly vary based on model.
Lift Chair Options
In addition to primary lift chair features, popular options can be added to increase access, comfort, and convenience:
- Heat and massage functions
- Right or left remote hand control location
- Extra storage pockets to hold magazine and remotes
- Lumbar pillow support
- Cup holders and snack trays
Room and Decor Considerations
Beyond selecting the lift chair’s features, size, and options, it’s also important to consider the room where it will be placed. Lift chairs are the approximate size of comparable recliners; however, because lift chairs activate, they can require a bit more space. Nevertheless, for rooms with limited space, an option is a wall-hugger or space-saver model, which allows the lift chair to operate within 4″ to 6″ from a wall.
Of course, décor is important to many lift chair users, and with over 30 fabric choices on many models, it’s possible to closely match a lift chair to most existing furniture colors.
Call us today to discuss your needs. Our qualified sales staff and trained technicians can answer all of your questions.
1 (800) 811-9121